TRAIN LIKE YOU FIGHT
Or, you can flip it around. Either way, it all comes down to a few simple thruths about your self defense training that you need to be aware of :
- Practise makes permanent. The techniques you drill are the techniques you will use.
- You need to practise with an opponent. They air won't attack you in the streets, people will.
- The scenarios you train for need to be realistic.
- You need to train for random and unexpected attacks or an ambush.
- You absolutely must learn how to deal with armed assailants and multiple attackers.
- Your training should regularly approach the intensity of a real violent encounter.
Keep those things in mind and look at your training methods. If self-defense is your priority then you need to incorporate these things into your regular training. If you can't do it in your dojo, then find a partner to train with at home, or find a school that will provide these opportunities.
Train Hard, Train Fast, Train Smart!